Sunday, December 14, 2008

The Church needs everyone - 12-14-08

William,

I can’t believe that you are already heading for Virginia. I am just getting used to sending you emails through DearElder.com. I was talking to Heidi, and she said that I should get used to using snail mail, and buy some stamps. I guess that I can get used to that. We are going to send your Christmas box to the mission home to make sure that it gets there in time. If you are able to call on Wednesday we will be home until 8:30am and then you can call Mary Ann’s Cell # 1-(801)-358-9644. I will drop everything for a chance to talk to you again.

Benson fixed the window and door handle on the truck. Remember I told you that someone broke it. Tricia is here, she starts work on Monday. As we drove back from Cedar city we got stuck behind an accident for 1.5 hours, while it snowed 6 inches. It took us 3 hours to get there, and 6 hours to get back. I told Tricia that while she is here I would teach her how to do donuts in the snow. She was really excited about that.

I talked with Sis. Luebke today at church and told her that you had some very fond memories about being at there cabin and hearing the story first hand from Br. Luebke. I gave her the address of the blog that I have started and asked her to visit it. I think that she would like to read the stories about how much good Scott did with the young men that he served.

You asked me read D&C 138:57 and to give you my feelings on the subject.

D&C 138:57 I beheld that the faithful elders of this dispensation, when they depart from mortal life, continue their labors in the preaching of the gospel of repentance and redemption, through the sacrifice of the Only Begotten Son of God, among those who are in darkness and under the bondage of sin in the great world of the spirits of the dead.

I have a testimony that this principle of the gospel is true. I know that those that love us and have died continue to watch over us and help us. President James Faust told a group of genealogist that if they got more priesthood holders on the other side of the veil, that they would see an increase in the number of ordinances performed for the dead.

After 40 years of looking for your Great-Grandma Boy parents, without any luck, we were able to seal her to the family that raised her a short 3 months after Grandpa Boy died. I know that he helped us to find the information necessary to help seal his family. Who better to help his family in their eternal progression then a holder of the Melchizedek Priesthood?

In Elders Quorum today we talked about how the church needs every member to be unified, brothers and sisters in the gospel, and that each member must give their full measure in the spreading of the Gospel, and that our Heavenly Father wants us to become Gods and Goddesses ourselves.

“The Church needs everyone of you. It needs your strength. It needs your energy. It needs your enthusiasm. It needs your loyalty and devotion and faith.” – Gordon B. Hinckley

After this was read Br. Sean Bryant said that the way Heavenly Father helps us grow is through adversity, when he said this, “While we are building up his kingdom, the Lord is building up us.” I thought this was worth passing along to you. I hope that you find strength in these thoughts.

I love you son, and I am so proud of you. I can see real growth in you over just the last couple of weeks. I can only imagine what the Lord has in store for you in Virginia. But I am sure that he will prepare you, watch over you, and help you to find the strength needed to complete what is asked of you.

Return with Honor,
Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment